Monday 24 January 2011

Billy Sups Up

Bonus points to anyone that can name this song:
“Hey, don't write yourself off yet, It's only in your head you feel left out or looked down on. Just try your best, try everything you can.
Everything (everything) will be just fine, everything (everything) will be alright (alright).”

I cast my mind back to a time almost a year ago (February 2010) to be exact.  That’s when I signed up for News Associates, officially.  Having decided in the December previous that it was the place for me. 

I distinctly remember the interview that followed the exam, I distinctly remember how News Associates were still operating under the old system, the old system where I already had the Reporting (news-writing as it was then called) already under my belt.  I distinctly remember being told I wouldn’t need to re-do it.  I distinctly remember the first day at News Associates and being told the course had changed, they were operating under a different system, and I’d have to re-do Reporting.

Tomorrow, I really do have to re-do Reporting.  The irony that it was the one module I ended up flunking isn’t lost on me.
However, I can write.  I know I can write.  I’m not Billy Big Bollocks, but I do not have the BBC on my CV without being able to write.

However, anyone that knows me knows I’ve always been a bit hit and miss with these things.  But like a cat with 9 lives, I’ve always landed on my feet.  And I’m hoping the same applies again tomorrow.  Last chance saloon, got to pull a performance out.

On the 8 May 2010 Leeds United needed to beat Bristol Rovers to secure promotion to the Championship.   For most of the 11 players on duty it was the biggest game they had ever played, against a team that were no great shakes in League 1.  As the second half got under way they found themselves 1-0 down with less than 40 minutes remaining.  Not only did they have their own destiny to play for, they had the hopes of 38,000 in the ground and millions more around the world on their shoulders.  No one associated with Leeds United wanted yet another play-off attempt.

Out of the depths they plucked goals in the 59th and 63rd minutes to secure the win that guaranteed promotion.

Now I am not, and never will be, a professional footballer, but this is the task that awaits me tomorrow.

So for myself, Will, Debs, Anna & Jack (I think that’s it), then I’m looking to my favourite song of 2010 for inspiration “Don’t Stop Believing”.

And for anyone that read my rants on the News Associates Facebook wall from Friday through to Monday, then just to say, yes, even now knowing my result I maintain I would not have sat the resit tomorrow if I didn’t have the results.

Stubborn? Stupid? You decide.  This Is Me Being Me, That’s Just The Way I Am (after 5 months of me, I’m sure you all know that).

Wish me luck; I’m off to read those [facking] yellow sheets so that [by and large] I can get [in their faces] one last time.

1 comment:

  1. Jimmy Eat World, "The Middle".

    go 'head and smash it, lad!

    ReplyDelete