Sunday 29 August 2010

Opportunity Knocks

Tucked away at the foot of a column in this week's Reporter, comes an interesting snippet - the news that Adam Wolstenholme (Esq!) is leaving the 'paper to take up a career as an English teacher. I'm sure there's a related link somewhere, but it's not Adam's future career path that concerns me, but my own.


5 months hence and allowing myself to dream that I would actually be fully qualified, this would be the perfect opportunity.  It would be a massive pay cut from what I currently earn, and I'd be back to reporting on cats stuck up trees and Nellie Jones' 110th birthday party, but I would actually be doing the one thing I've strived 15 years for: writing for a living.


As it is, there is no way a paper would look twice at a local boy, from the same town, who has a million and one contacts within the local area, who has previously worked for the self same paper, and who has a talent for writing. Why? Because I don't have the right piece of paper that says I can do it. 


However, given the turn over of staff in that office, this may not be the last opportunity to turn up down on Wellington Street.  Some of us have somewhat higher aspirations anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment